Exercise is important to holistic health, and every one of us should take the time to sweat it out at least thrice a week for our physical, mental, and even spiritual well-being. Even if you think that you are simply too busy to get active, there are all types of exercises out there and finding one that can accommodate your availability will be a piece of cake. In addition, there are plenty of exercise accessories and equipment that are designed to help you make the most out of your session, while making it as easy and convenient for you as possible.
One of the best of these are resistance bands. At their core, resistance bands are simply reinforced rubber. But the simplicity of their design does nothing to detract from the advantages that they can offer to any strength training program or regimen.
What Are Resistance Bands
The earliest resistance bands were made from surgical tubing, and they were mostly used for muscle rehabilitation. Today, there are many types available on the market, ranging from the simple to the complete.
Resistance bands are built to provide intensity to workouts, without requiring a lot of storage space. For instance, some of the best simple bands such as the Phantom Fit Resistance Loop Bands and the
Starwood Sports Exercise Resistance Loop Band can be arranged to work out certain muscles more, and help you achieve optimal results without the cumbersome equipment.
Typically, resistance bands are color-coded to indicate the prescribed weights that they carry. The orange Serious Steel Assisted Pull-Up Band, Resistance & Stretch Band, for example, carries up to 15 lbs, the purple one carries up to 35 lbs, and the red one carries up to 50 lbs; the Woss Enterprises Woss Titan Band, on the other hand, ranges from Very Light (yellow) to Ultra Heavy (purple).
There are also different types of resistance bands. The first is the therapy band, which is a simple band with no handles, and fit for muscle rehabilitation. There is also the compact resistance band, which comes with plastic handles, and ideal for working both the upper and lower body. The fit loop band targets the upper body muscles, as it is a continuous flat loop band; the figure 8 band is in the shape of an eight that is designed with two handles for the lower body. Ring resistance bands are circular bands with two soft handles, and lateral resistance bands are two Velcro ankle cuffs that are connected by a singular band; both are for lower body workouts.
Advantages of Resistance Bands
Resistance bands offer a lot of advantages. The first of these is their affordability, compared to other types of exercise accessories and equipment. The Gymstuff G-strap, for example, is considered by fitness enthusiasts to be a well-made product that is good for a wide range of exercise routines, for a very reasonable price.
They are also great for everyone who wants to exercise, whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned gym rat. All you need to do is think about the right resistance that you want, as well as the kind of exercise that you hope to do.
In addition, they can be used to supplement strength training programs. If you’re enrolled in a TRX class, for example, the Trx Training – Suspension Trainer Basic Kit + Door Anchor is one of the best accessories to have. Bonus: it comes with a complete full body workout kit for when you’re home or on the road. If you’re thinking of getting started or you’re already into crossfit, the Protone Suspension Trainer – Bodyweight Strength And Fitness Training System will be ideal.
These bands are also smart choices for those who like to travel, as they are portable and can be packed into your duffel bag easily. When you do exercise, on the road, you have the benefit of working out like you have all the equipment that you need: resistance bands can take the place of weights for your bicep curls, or make pushups more intense.
Additionally, you can add resistance bands to other accessories and equipment. Or if you do not have enough equipment, you can attach them to components like doors for better muscle isolations. The Black Mountain products, for instance, come with resistance bands, door anchors, and ankle straps, so you can look forward to a full body workout. So can you with the Spri Xertube Resistance Band Exercise Cord with Door Attachment.
With regular inspections, you can also help prevent their wear and tear. Or you can invest in something like the Bodylastics Patented Anti-Snap Resistance Bands Set so you can set your mind at ease about your safety during your workout.
And they make exercise more productive. This is not only because you can do a lot of exercise routines in one sitting, they also make it easier for you to vary your exercises. Our muscles tend to get used to what we do, after a while, and it is important to keep challenging them with variety.
Pointers To Consider When Choosing Resistance Bands
Before you go shopping for resistance bands, it is important to remember that the benefits you will reap from the products are dependent on whether you have chosen the right products. This is why it is wise to know what to look for, such as:
- Variety. Having different tension levels will make your workouts more satisfactory, over a long time. Choose resistance bands in at least three colors. In addition, it is recommended to mix different types. For instance, you can buy simple loop bands and resistance bands that come with door attachments so you can make the most out of exercising.
- Comfort. Finally, choose resistance bands that you would like to exercise with. Some bands have handles that are made of hard plastic, which may not be very comfortable when you’re right in the middle of a routine. Also, make sure that the handles are sized just right for your hands so you do not fall prey to potential slippage and other risks.
- Gymstuff G-strap Suspension Body Fitness Trainer, Resistance Home Gym Fitness Training Band
- Trx Training – Suspension Trainer Basic Kit + Door Anchor, Complete Full Body Workouts Kit for Home and on the Road Band
- Protone Suspension Trainer – Bodyweight Strength And Fitness Training System – Home Gym – Crossfit – Fitness Band
- Serious Steel Assisted Pull-Up Band, Resistance & Stretch Band | Powerlifting Bands | Pull-up and Band
- Woss Enterprises Woss Titan Band
- Spri Xertube Resistance Band Exercise Cord with Door Attachment
- Phantom Fit Resistance Loop Bands
- Starwood Sports Exercise Resistance Loop Band
- Bodylastics Patented Anti-Snap Resistance Bands Set
- Black Mountain Products Resistance Band Set with Door Anchor, Ankle Strap, Exercise Chart, and Resistance Band